Recipe for Hate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tanking in <Noctum>

2 posters

Go down

Tanking in <Noctum> Empty Tanking in <Noctum>

Post by Pantzer Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi fellow warriors.

This thread will contain guidelines for tanking aswell as requirements. This will be edited a long the way, i will let you know once it does!

Guide Section:

First of all there are a few threads written by some of the best tank players on Nost/Anathema/Elysium that you HAVE to both read and understand. If you have any questions, ask me!

1. https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/24163-prot-warrior-guide-by-armilus-v2/

This guide explains mitigation and threat down to detail. It is important to know exactly which spells and items to use, as a warrior needs to change gear often in between fights. An example could be tanking a Molten Giant in MC, hits for 800-1000 damage, which means that tanking those we should be def capped in order to be crit immune. Also you will need to keep Shield Block included in your rotation (I will get back to rotations) to remove chrushing blows from the hit table. Another example could be tanking Firelords, they dont do high physical damage and therefor you have no reason to be def capped. Firelords needs to be killed fast in order to stop adds from spawning, especially if we fight 2 Firelords at the same time. Here you want to use your Threat set (I will get back to threat sets) for you to be able to maximize TPS and let DPS maximize their damage.

2. https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15825

This guide is a macro guide for warriors. Most important part of it is the ''Start attack macro'' which you should bind to all your threat giving abilities. Basically what it does is it adds a auto-attack to all of your abilities so that when you use for example Shield Slam it will make sure you do not by accident stop your auto attacks. It will also free you of having to bind auto attack to one of the ''good'' buttons on your keyboard. In this thread some of the macros are a lot more complicated than they should be, so no reason to use them all. But i highly recommend you to use the ''start attack'' macro.

3. https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/22798-tank-points-by-undertanker/

This is a on-going guide on TPS produced by gear. It contains a lot of items not yet on Elysium, but still worth a look to give an idea about itemization and ideas for builds/specs and gear set-ups.

OK. That was the guides, i expect you to know what im talking about when i reffer to these guides while raiding.

Guild requirements

addOns:

TankBuddy - Will automatically do a /yell or a /raidwarning when you miss Taunt/Mocking Blow and when you use Shield Wall, Last Stand or Lifegiving gem.
KTM - Obvious..
DPSmate - When not tanking, or when your add is dead i expect you to do damage and not just auto attacking and slamming a few sunders. Of course in some fights you'll have to build threat.
LunaUI - This is EXTREMELY important to have for one specific reason. It shows the incoming heals from healers, which means you will be able to see on your HP bar everytime someone is casting a heal on you. This will give you a good idea of when to use cooldowns, healthstones or call for extra heals! It is also in general just a really smooth UI once set up right.
ItemRack (Or another instant item swap addOn) - You will have to be able to swap complete sets, and not look through your bags etc.

Consumables:

MC: 5x Elixir of the Mongoose, 5x Elixir of the Giants, 5x Elixir of Fortitude, 5x Greater Stoneshield Potion, 5x Elixir of Superior Defense, 5x GFPP, 5x Major Healing Potion, 20x Gordok Green Grog, 20x ''Well Fed'' Tender Wolf Steaks/Monster Omelet, 20x Great Rage Potion (Not to be confused with Mighty Rage Potion, which is very expensive)

BWL: 10x Elixir of the Mongoose, 10x Elixir of the Giants, 10x Elixir of Fortitude, 5x Greater Stoneshield Potion, 10x Elixir of Superior Defense, 5x GFPP, 5x GSPP, 10x Healing Potion, 30x Gordok Green Grog, 30x ''Well Fed'' Tender Wolf Steaks/Monster Omelet, 30x Great Rage Potion (Not to be confused with Mighty Rage Potion, which is very expensive)

I expect you to pop your first consumables before starting the Lucifron fight. They will then last for an hour or till dead. If you do not die, you just need to keep up Gordok Green Grog/Well Fed before any boss is initiated.

Stoneshield Potions will be used when tanking Golemagg or Elites in Majordomo fight.

Flasks will be provided by the guild for progression raiding in BWL.

Macros

/Cast Battle Stance /Cast Mocking Blow - Use when your Taunt resists.
/Cast Berserker Stance /Cast Berserker Rage - Use when your next in the Onyxia tanking rotation, or when tanking Magmadar.

Both of these macros requires you to click the macro bound button twice. I have tried to make it into a one button macro, but because of global cooldowns and vanilla in general, i dont think it is possible, even if using SuperMacro.

This is a absolute minimum of macros that i demand you have and use.

Max TPS/Infinite rage macro(s)

/run if not IsCurrentAction(70) then UseAction(70) end;
/run CastSpellByName("Shield Slam")

Where (70) is the number on the bar you put Heroic Strike in.

Item sets

You are expected to have 3 different sets of gear by now.

One set being def capped. 440 defense, even if that means replacing T1 gear with blues.

One set being special attack hit capped. 6% hit - though while having atleast 400 defense, if you do not have that or do not think its easily obtainable, ask me.

One set being your FR set. I know you do not have any sweet craftables yet, but our goal is to have 200 unbuffed FR on all tanks. We are in the progress of crafting Dark Iron gear.

Eventually we will go for having TPS/Hit sets containing 8-9% hit. This is though most for speed runs and sexiness.

Rotations, tips n' tricks and your suggestions.

Tanking is situational and you will never become a good tank by doing these ''1 button macros''. Yet it is still a good idea to have a standard rotation that you know is efficient. I recommend you to use the following;

Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Sunder -> Sunder. Be aware that you need a block, dodge or parry for Revenge to be activated. That means that the rotation in reality would be;

Shield Slam -> Shield Block -> Revenge -> Sunder -> Sunder. Again tanking is situational and if you're not tanking a hard hitting mob or boss there is no need to use shield block as your general dodge, blocks and parries will keep Revenge up.

I personally ALWAYS start a fight using Shield Slam, as this is our highest TPS burst ability. This means if you initiate with 0 rage you will need to activate Blood Rage a few seconds before pulling in order to have 20 rage to throw a shield slam. Or you can use diffrent kind of rage potions. Another thing worth mentioning is while Shield Slam is our highest burst ability, Revenge is our ''Most threat per. rage'' ability. This means if you fighting a mob and find yourself lacking rage, consider leaving shield slam out of your rotation. If you find yourself having 60+ rage during long periods start throwing Heroic Strikes, this ability replaces an auto attack but generates a noticeable amount of threat, the rotation could look some thing like:

Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Sunder -> Heroic or even Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Heroic -> Heroic. If you decide to leave Sunder Armor out of your rotation make SURE that there is always 5 sunder armors up, or have an OT keep Sunders up while u spam your rotation.

I will not get into when to use Battle Shout, Demo Shout or Thunderclap as that is explained in the guides and is very situational.

This thread is for all of us, and i expect you to comment and add your suggestions so we can maximize our effort and let our headless DPS'ers go nuts and ignore KTM..

TANK-AAAHOOU!

Last edited by Pantzer on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pantzer

Back to top Go down

Tanking in <Noctum> Empty Re: Tanking in <Noctum>

Post by Omni Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Good guide. One question: Does shield block and heroic strike affect the global cooldown? Im pretty sure it doesnt which means that when you have spare rage you can pretty much press Heroic strike and revenge/shield slam/sunder at the same time

Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Pantzer Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 am

Omni wrote:Good guide. One question: Does shield block and heroic strike affect the global cooldown? Im pretty sure it doesnt which means that when you have spare rage you can pretty much press Heroic strike and revenge/shield slam/sunder at the same time

It doesn't. Good point! I will try macroing Heroic Strike with Revenge and Shield Slam in the same start attack macro. Probably really good for Vael!

Pantzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Omni Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 am

Pantzer wrote:
Omni wrote:Good guide. One question: Does shield block and heroic strike affect the global cooldown? Im pretty sure it doesnt which means that when you have spare rage you can pretty much press Heroic strike and revenge/shield slam/sunder at the same time

It doesn't. Good point! I will try macroing Heroic Strike with Revenge and Shield Slam in the same start attack macro. Probably really good for Vael!

Another thing that will make Molten Core go faster is having threat gear on the tanks for thrash.
As you wrote, a Molten Giant doest about 1k per hit which is very little.
We keep 2 healers per tanks during thrash mostly becouse sometimes one of them might be out of range taking a little drink.
Solohealing a tank in def gear is extremely easy during thrash aslong as you have mana. With 2 healers mostly up its actually really boring.

I think we have gotten to a place where the healing works really smoothly and I only think Ive seen a dead tank on thrash the last months have been Dortmunder on a lava pack when the whole caster camp got stunned.

With threat gear on tanks for thrash our dps will be quite a bit higher aswell as less aggro pulling which means less dead people which means lower downtime.

If you keep sticking 2 healers on each tank during thrash there is no point not having threat gear.

Omni

Back to top Go down

Post by Pantzer Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:47 pm

*EDITED* added macros for Vael. Shield Slam + Heroic, Revenge + Heroic

Pantzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: